Only 12 more days until Christmas! Can you even believe that? Now at this point I was going to start singing the twelve days of Christmas and somehow work this granola into the lyrics, (…my true love gave to meee, two jars of buckwheat granola!“) but did you know that it isn’t the twelve days leading up to Christmas that they’re talking about? Nay, it is the twelve days following Christmas. Whatt?? Who is still giving out gifts to their true love twelve days after Christmas?? As much as I love this time of year, at about day two after Christmas I am ready to pack away the ornaments and drag the tree out the door (although truthfully it usually stays up until New Years Day). Anyway, I’m getting ahead of myself. What was I talking about again?
Oh yes, granola. And the fact that we have less than two weeks until Christmas! Is everyone finished shopping? Does anyone else out there like to make gifts for their friends and families for the holidays? I’ve made people everything from cookies to hot cocoa mix, popcorn seasonings, trail mix, even customized face mask kits and tea hair rinses. I love getting creative with gifts, and I think giving homemade ones is so much fun. This granola is perfect for gifting. It looks festive too! With bits of deep red cranberries, green pistachios, and snow white coconut flakes, this granola is sparkling with holiday cheer.
In addition to looking the part, this granola just tastes like the holidays too, with the perfect amount of warm spices, molasses, and maple syrup. Along with naturally gluten free and nutritious buckwheat groats, I added superseeds like chia and sesame plus pecans and pistachios, for the most crunchy, delicious clusters. Shredded coconut and dried cranberries add some chewy sweetness, for a perfect granola you can’t keep your hands out of. In fact, as I hurriedly type this, my daughter is begging, begging, begging me to make some more “gra-nilla.” It’s that good.
On that note, I leave you with the simple recipe, and best wishes for enjoying every special moment these twelve days
of until Christmas!
Holiday Gingerbread Buckwheat Granola – Naturally Sweetened, Vegan, Gluten-Free
Inspired by a recipe from Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 cup raw buckwheat groats
- 1/4 cup raw pecans, chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of cloves
- pinch or two of sea salt
- 3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tbsp unsulphered blackstrap molasses
- 1 tbsp natural almond butter
- 1/3 – 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Prepare a cookie sheet with a layer of parchment paper or silpat.
- In a large bowl, combine the buckwheat, nuts, seeds, spices, and salt, stir to combine. In a separate, small bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, molasses, and almond butter until well combined. Pour into the dry ingredients, using a spatula to get all of the mixture out. Stir well to make sure all the dry ingredients are coated well.
- Spread mixture out on the parchment lined pan, and pat down with a spatula. Bake for about 25 minutes, stirring a couple of times during baking.
- Let the mixture cool completely on the pan; it will become crunchy as it cools. Break into clusters and add the cranberries and coconut. I also added a handful of extra raw chopped pistachios, just for color. Makes about 2 1/2 cups. Store in an airtight container.
You can replace the nuts and seeds with about 3/4 cup of your favorite nuts, seeds, cereals, or other dry ingredients. Feel free to switch out the cranberries and coconut with raisins or other dried fruits.