Memorial Day and grilling season is right around the corner; in fact, May is National Barbecue Month, making this a great time to share my favorite easy barbecue sauce. This is my go-to barbecue sauce, and I use it on everything! Barbecue Lentil Wraps, saucy roasted cauliflower, and BBQ tempeh (recipe coming soon!) are just a few of my favorite sauced up dishes. This sauce will take mere minutes to whip up and has no refined sugar. It’s the perfect blend of spicy, tangy, and subtly sweet with a hint of molasses, and can be easily adapted to your tastes.
This grilling season, make this healthier and cheaper barbecue sauce. You’ll want to put it on everything!
- 6 oz can organic tomato paste + 1/2 cup water + 2 tbsp maple syrup (OR 1 cup ketchup)
- 2 tbsp water
- 2-3 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika or hickory liquid smoke
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder (or chili powder)
- pinch of sea salt
- Optional: for a sweeter sauce add a tablespoon of maple syrup or coconut sugar
Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Pour in a jar and store in fridge. Use within a week or freeze.
If using tomato paste, it will have a thicker texture, thin with extra water if desired, and if you have extra time, run it through your blender.