It feels like ages since I posted a sweet treat. Ok, I guess it’s only been 14 days. But in “dessert years” that’s like months! Well, I’m putting an end to the lull in goodies around here with this awesome PB + J Pudding Parfait!
What is it about peanut butter anything that gets people (including me) so excited??? I can’t explain this phenomenon, but I get it, believe me. When I’m pondering what kind of treat to make myself, peanut butter is part of my musings about 75% of the time. Usually paired with chocolate. While I think this peanut butter pudding would be delicious with a topping of the cocoa-filled variety, I implore you to revisit your childhood days with this tasty and classic combination.
I went through quite a bit of peanut butter after first whipping up this pudding a couple of months ago. It’s that good, you guys! It’s also incredibly easy. Maybe even too easy, because you’ll be wanting to make it nonstop. My daughter started catching on and would point to the spatula I used to scrape out the blender and shout “Taste! Taste!” She knows what’s good.
This PB + J parfait is filled with simple ingredients: just peanut butter, chia seeds, almond milk, pure maple syrup, and a pinch of salt. The strawberry “jam” is just frozen strawberries, lightly warmed (or thawed in the fridge) and mashed. Easy peasy.
I’m certain you’re going to LOVE this parfait! It’s the perfect snack, dessert, or even breakfast (maybe sprinkle a little granola over the top…mmm). It also looks super cute in a pair of small mason jars. Just don’t be mad when you go to lick the jar clean and your tongue doesn’t reach it all.
Have a fabulous weekend everyone!
PB + J Chia Parfaits
Peanut Butter Pudding – inspired by Angela’s Protein Peanut Butter
- 1 cup of almond milk, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp natural peanut butter
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup or other liquid sweetener
- pinch of sea salt
- optional 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Strawberry “Jam” Topping
- 2 cups of fresh or frozen strawberries
1. Make the pudding. Put all ingredients in your blender and blend until very smooth. Taste it. Add 1-2 more tablespoons of peanut butter if you want it more peanut buttery, add more maple syrup if you want it sweeter. At this point it will be runny. Scrape the pudding into a bowl and allow to set in the fridge (the longer it sets, the thicker it gets).
2. Make the Jam. Place fresh or frozen strawberries in a small pot and warm them over low heat, then use a fork or potato masher to smash them up. You can also let your frozen berries thaw in the fridge overnight and then mash them without heating them. Depending on your strawberries, you might want to add a touch of maple syrup to sweeten them up. I found mine to be plenty sweet without any added sweeteners. Pop the jam in the fridge.
3. After your pudding has set to your liking (give it a couple of hours), take your pudding and jam out of the fridge. Alternately layer the pudding and jam in two containers. Or you can put the pudding in a bowl and simply top with the jam. YUM!
3 thoughts on “Easy and Healthy PB + J Chia Pudding Parfaits”
This sounds fantastic! Have you ever used PB2? It is powdered peanut butter with 85% less fat. Good stuff.
I’ve never tried it, though I’ve seen it at the grocery store. You’ll have to let us know if you give it a try in this pudding!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Absolutely! I like peanut butter in my plain yogurt too, with a little cocoa that is. The powdered is great for stir fry.
LikeLiked by 1 person