What could be better than soft and tender homemade gingerbread men cookies? How about gingerbread cookies sandwiching a thick layer of soft-serve vegan nog nice cream?
I’ve had this idea of making gingerbread cookies and vegan “egg”nog ice cream sandwiches for some time. These little treats remind me of a treat I can remember having when I was a kid. Soft, mini sized, ice cream + gingerbread cookie sandwiches… they something we used to find in the freezer aisle only during the holidays. I’m not even sure you can still find them in stores, but regardless, they’re not dairy free and they certainly weren’t healthy by any stretch of the imagination. Besides, I think this homemade version is way more delicious.
Soft gingerbread cookies provide the tastiest vehicle for soft serve style banana nog nice cream. Molasses, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla flavors combine for a festive cookie ice cream sandwich that you won’t want to save for just the holidays. I used my smaller gingerbread man cookie cutter for these, for perfectly portioned treat, but feel free to use any size, or shape for that matter.
Take your gingerbread men to the next level and whip up a batch of these for family and friends! The nog nice cream is also delicious on it’s own (we had it for breakfast the other day!).
Gingerbread Man and Nog Nice Cream Sandwich (vegan and gluten free)
- 1 batch of my vegan and gluten free Soft Gingerbread Cookies
- 3 frozen bananas (use ripe bananas)
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 tsp each vanilla extract and rum extract
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Bake cookies and allow them to cool completely.
- Make the nice cream by combining all ingredients in a food processor or high speed blender (like a Vitamix). Use the tamper with the Vitamix to get a perfectly smooth, soft serve textured nice cream, but don’t over-blend
- Use a spoon (or pipe with an icing tip and plastic bag) the nice cream onto one cookie and top with another. These are best eaten right away, while the nice cream is soft and creamy and the cookies are fresh and tender.