Cooked tempeh cubes are combined with crunchy carrots and celery, scallions, parsley, grapes, and walnuts, then tossed with my creamy, oil-free vegan (and raw) Healthy Mayo, for a tasty summer salad/sandwich filling that
rivals surpasses it’s conventional counterparts!
I’m so excited to share one of my favorite recipes today, which comes from my dear, sweet mom. She is the best. My mom, a vegetarian since the early 80’s, first started making this tempeh faux chk’n salad years ago. She is the queen of this sort of veganized salad/sandwich filling, and also makes a killer eggless salad sandwich with tofu. My mom adapted this tempeh salad from a recipe from a c. 1995 Vegetarian Times Cookbook, then I added a couple of my own twists but kept it mostly the same as my Mom’s variation, because it is just so darn good.
This salad is superb sandwiched between two slices of whole grain bread (I use Ezekiel) with crunchy romaine lettuce, rolled into a wrap, made into lettuce boats, tucked into pitas, or eaten on top of a bed of greens and veggies. On more than one occasion I’ve taken this Tempeh Chk’n Salad along for after-hike refueling, beach day eats, and picnicking at the park. It is awesome for packing into a cooler along with a bunch of romaine lettuce for stuffing and fresh fruit on the side for a healthy and simple summer meal on the go.
If you’re looking for a quick meal to throw together this summer, look no further than this tasty, vegan, mock-chicken salad. Whole-food ingredients, no oil, and flavor and crunch in every bite (not to mention healthy fats, fiber, and plant-based protein).
Mom’s Tempeh Chk’n Salad
- 1 – 8oz package of tempeh, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp of tamari, Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, or soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp of water
- 1 tsp of rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 4 scallions, green/white parts, minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup grapes, halved
- Optional: 1/2 cup shelled raw walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup Healthy Mayo or may substitute with vegan mayo such as Vegannaise
1. Prepare tempeh: place cubed tempeh in a small pot with soy sauce, water and rice vinegar, and cook over medium until all liquid has absorbed. Transfer to a glass dish and set in the refrigerator to cool while you prepare your veggies and other ingredients.
2. Once your tempeh has cooled, combine with remaining ingredients and toss with Healthy Mayo. Store in the refrigerator. Best if eaten on the same day it is made. Or prepare the salad without the mayo, and combine with the mayo before you plan to eat it.